Driving is probably one of the most dangerous things most of us will ever do. According to Queensland Government’s Road Crash Report there have been 112 road related fatalities this year to date.
Although we do our best to drive responsibly it is still good to know what to do just in case you end up in a collision or are a witness to an accident and are providing assistance. Car accidents can be very scary so here are some tips if you are involved in one:
Take some deep breaths to get calm. After a crash, a person may feel a wide range of emotions – shock, guilt, fear, nervousness, or anger – all of which are normal. Take a few deep breaths or count to 10 to calm down. The calmer we are, the better prepared we will be to handle the situation. This is the time to take stock of the accident and try to make a judgment about whether it was a serious one.
Keep yourself and others safe. If you can’t get out of your car – or it’s not safe to try – keep your seatbelt fastened, turn on your hazard lights, then call Triple 0 if possible and wait for help to arrive. If the collision seems to be minor, turn off your car and if it’s safe get out and move away from your car, ideally onto the footpath. If anyone is injured or distressed call Triple 0.
Exchange details. Once you’ve made sure everyone is okay, it’s time to swap details. Use your phone to take photos of the cars, licences plates, Drivers licences, etc.
You’ll both need:
- Date, time and location of the crash
- The other driver’s details, including: full name and address (photo)
- The other car’s rego number, make and model (photo)
- The car owner’s full name, address and contact numbers (if the driver is not the owner).
- The name and contact details of a willing witness
- The name of the police officer, their police station and contact details (if the police attend the crash)
- The name of the car owner’s insurance company, type of policy and policy number.
- Being in a crash is always stressful, even if it’s minor. To make sure you remember what details to get from the other driver, it’s a good idea to leave a copy of the above list in your glovebox.
Compensation for car accident
If you have any queries regarding car accident compensation please call us for an obligation free consultation. We may also be able to assist with getting you back on the road with a hire car.