Legal Advice for Compensation Insurance Claims & TPD Payouts

What details should I trade after a car accident?

Being involved in a car accident can be stressful, particularly if you have been injured. Still, there is some essential information you should exchange with other drivers to help protect your legal rights. 

What driver details should be exchanged?

  1. Name
  2. Address
  3. Phone number
  4. Registration number
  5. Vehicle make, model and colour
  6. Time and location of the collision
  7. Driver’s licence number
  8. Insurance company details

If the traffic accident involves multiple motorists, you need these details for all participants. 

If the driver of the other vehicle is not the owner, you will also require that person’s name, address & phone number.

What to do if I was injured in a road accident?

You should collect this additional information if you have been involved in a traffic collision and suffered a physical or psychological injury.

  • Note the weather conditions at the time of the accident
  • Photograph and video the accident scene
  • Get witness details and statements
  • Seek medical attention
  • Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to know your legal rights.

What should I do if I can’t exchange information at the accident?

If for some reason, you can’t get the other driver’s information, you should:

  1. Contact the police
  2. Get a copy of the police accident report
  3. Apply to your state roads department to retrieve the driver’s details

Contact Splatt Lawyers to know your legal rights

When you have suffered a loss due to a traffic accident, Splatt Lawyers will help you know your legal rights, free of charge. Contact us now to get started. Call 1800 700 125.


Disclaimer – This is general information only and does not constitute legal advice. It is free to receive legal advice on your situation. Please get in touch with our experienced personal injury compensation lawyers for help understanding your legal rights and your free claim review. Call 1800 700 125 or email:

More Legal Advices

Road and Car Accident Self-Help Articles

What to do if I don’t have details of the other driver in a car accident

What to do if I am injured in a road accident with an unlicensed driver?